Implicit in the use of the term “militant atheists” is the assumption that, having no religion, atheists have no place discussing it. And nested in that assumption, Russian-doll style, is this one: It’s no use dissuading anyone from religion, because hey, what’s the harm?
But that’s where we run into problems. Religion kills.
I have begun tagging the problems with religion as “What’s The Harm”.
Let’s get started:
- Wars, crusades, inquisitions, gunpoint missionaries
- Faith healing, heartbreakingly forced upon children
- Circumcision and genital mutilation
- Separating families (heck, even Jesus advocating leaving your family to follow him)
- Spreading scientific illiteracy and general ignorance
- Exorcisms performed on victims who are simply either mentally ill or gay
Why speak out? For a better world.